Sunday 1 May 2011

Writing. It's a funny old game.

I've come to a conclusion. It's not a particularly nice conclusion.

I cannot write when I have the actual time to write. See, I've been on Holiday for the last eleven days. I've Written about half a page of my new novel, and absolutely nothing of any fanfiction. Hell, the fact that I've started writing goddamn Fanfiction again should be enough to convince you that I like to write. No-one writes fanfiction with the intention of making money off it. Because lets face it, nothing screams bestseller like "Jesus and Hitler: A Romance."

I know it's a troll, but I had to work that shit into it somehow. Although, to be honest the Reviews are funnier than the fic itself.

Where was I?

Oh Yeah, writing.

Over the last week or so, I've done virtually no writing. I've sat down at times, thinking "I should write," But every time I've found something to distract me. I think I've figured out what my issue is.

I started writing fanfiction when I was at school, primarily as a way of escapism, and then because I simply started to enjoy writing. But I enjoy other things too, like gaming, watching movies, watching sport, and watching endless amounts of Top Gear.

Oh. And Webcomics. Let's not forget the webcomics.

Actually, lets, because much as I love webcomics, the last time I wrote about them, Doug TenNapel decided to hatefuck my blog on Twitter.

Anyways, I think the keyword in all of that was escapism. I tend to do my best writing when I get home from work, same as I tended to write prolifically when I got back from school at the age of 15. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean I wrote well, considering my most popular earlier piece of fanfiction was a Digimon flavoured Rip-off of Notting Hill.

I Don't even know why I linked to that. It's shit. But for some reason, people like it.

But anyways, I recently went back to writing fanfiction, and popped out two chapters and a half chapter of original writing in the space of a week.

Then I went on holiday, and I've written... Nothing. Nada. Zip. I've planned some bits and come up with ideas for my novel, but I haven't written shit. And I think it's entirely because I don't need to escape from my current scenario of dossing around, playing video games and getting lashed until I shout at Taxi drivers.

But I go back to work on Tuesday.

Better get the fuckin' notepad out, hadn't I?

Oh, and I'm gonna try and blog more. Again.

2 comments:

Leila said...

That was a wonderful piece of literature you have linked us to. Bravo, sirrah, bravo.

Unknown said...

Lulz, we thought it'd be right up your street :p