Wednesday 11 May 2011

Possession is nine tenths of the law.

For a few years now, I've had recurring nightmares about being possessed. I don't know why.

Normally, they follow watching a film or reading a story about demonic possession, but not always. The other night, Bex told me I'd been shouting in my sleep. I know for a fact that I was dreaming about being possessed again.

It's weird. It's also terrifying. I don't know where it started, but I know for a fact that Demonic possession is one of the single scariest concepts for me on the face of the planet. The idea of something taking you over, corrupting you from the inside out. That horrifies me. That and werewolves.

Werewolves freak me the fuck out.

But anyways. The dreams I've been having have always had the same creature in them. When I was doing a podcast about three years ago, I described a pair of vivid green eyes that I kept seeing in my minds eye. I used to imagine them for years, and I always used to associate them with a very specific place.

When I was a lot younger, My family and I used to stay at my Grandma's house for a couple of weeks every year in the summer. It was quite an oldish house. There was a long corridor between the bedroom me and my sisters stayed in, and the bathroom at the back of the house. That corridor scared the living shit out of me. I have no idea why. Probably, this whole green eyes thing was me mentally giving some kind of visualisation to the feelings of fear that I had. The corridor was probably only about ten feet long, but it was like the impending chasm of Doom.

Recently though, the dream changed from just being the eyes to a more creepy image of a skeletal figure crawling up the bed and looming over me, staring with those same green eyes. Often as not, this occurs when I'm still lucid, so I'm hanging just between sleep and wakefullness, completely conscious of the shape of the bed around me and the setting of the bedroom. That's probably what freaks me out the most. Other than that vivid mental image, it seems to take all the traditional symptoms of the Nightmare.

So Yeah. That's what I've been doing lately. How about you?

No comments: